- DATE :
- REGION :
GINETTA SAGAN Award Nomination Form For Women Human Rights Defender
Deadline: June 1, 2018.
The purpose of the Ginetta Sagan Fund of Amnesty International USA is to support courageous women human rights defenders who are working in dangerous contexts to further the rights of women and children.
The creation of the Ginetta Sagan Fund emphasizes that more human rights work must be done by and for women. The $20,000 award recognizes individual accomplishment, but also serves as a beacon of hope to women everywhere who are fighting for human rights.
- Recognizes outstanding achievement, often at great personal risk.
- Enhances the recipient’s ability to live and work freely, and protects the recipient’s capacity to continue her work, by bringing a new level of international attention to her accomplishments and the obstacles she faces.
- Brings increased international scrutiny to the crisis, region, or issue for which the recipient works
The $20,000 award can be used by the awardee at her complete discretion. The money is awarded to the individual, not the organization.
With the $20,000 award to be used at the awardee’s discretion, the Ginetta Sagan Award also seeks to support the awardee to receive training to assist in her ongoing work. To this end, in addition to the $20,000 award, the awardee can receive up to $5,000 to further their professional development. This can include covering her expenses to participate in, and/or attend trainings throughout 2019.
We ask that the awardee be available for a national tour to promote her work in late fall, 2018 for approximately two weeks. The awardee should be comfortable with public appearances, speaking in public, and doing interviews.
- Founder and/or Executive Director of an organization.
- Under threat for her activism.
- Proven effective at addressing human rights issues.
- Has brought about significant change in her country, region, or issue through her work.
For information about previous awardees, please visit www.amnestyusa.org/about-us/grants-and-awards/ginetta-sagan-award/ and click on read about “past recipients.”