- DATE :
- REGION :
The 2018 Wasafiri New Writing Prize
The prize was launched to support new writers, with no limits on age, gender, nationality or background. A winner will be chosen by our stellar line up of judges for each category: Fiction; Poetry; Life Writing. This year our judges include Malika Booker, who will be judging the poetry, Kerry Young, who will be judging the fiction, and Elleke Boehmer, who will be judging the life writing category. . Wasafiri Editor-in-Chief Susheila Nasta will chair the judging panel.
- The three winners will be published by Wasafiri and receive a cash prize;
- They will also be offered the Chapter and Verse or Free Reads mentoring scheme in partnership with The Literary Consultancy (dependent on eligibility)
The competition is open to any nationality and any age group who has not published a complete book in the category entered.
Terms and conditions:
- The competition is open to any nationality and any age group.
- The word limit is 3000 maximum (or a maximum of 5 poems).
- Work submitted must not have been previously published (this includes self-publishing and publishing on websites, personal or otherwise) or have won a prize in another competition.
- Work must be typed, double-spaced, on A4 paper, single sided only.
- Do not write your name or provide any other form of identification on your manuscript. All submissions will be considered without the judges knowing the identity of the entrant.
- Do not enter more than one poem on a single page.
- Work will only be accepted if accompanied by an official entry form and fee. If you require acknowledgement of receipt, please email email@example.com when you submit your entry.
- We regret that manuscripts cannot be altered after submission.
- All electronic submissions will receive an acknowledgement.
- Fee is per category: the entrant can submit a maximum of one entry per category – in the Poetry category, one submission can include five poems.
- Entries must be received at Wasafiri no later than 5pm BST on Friday 13 July 2018. We regret that we cannot accept entries received after this date.
- The judges’ decision is final. No correspondence or discussion concerning the judges’ decision will be entered into.
- The copyright will remain with the winning authors. Acceptance of the prize will indicate the author’s agreement to their work being published in Wasafiriand inclusion in a possible anthology of the best work received.
- Shortlisted entries will be published on the Wasafiri
- Wasafirireserves the right to edit the winning entries.
- Failure to meet the conditions of entry will mean that a submission is automatically disqualified from the competition.
- No person may win more than one prize.
- The competition is not open to members of the Wasafiri
- Shortlisted authors will be notified by email and will be invited to the prize-giving event (date and venue tbc).
- A list of shortlisted authors will be published on the Wasafiriwebsite in Autumn 2018.
- Manuscripts will not be returned.
- The entry fee is non-refundable.