- DATE :
- REGION :
Senior Strategic Planning Advisor-Afghanistan
The Senior Strategic Planning Advisor will support the development of a five-year strategic plan for the Deputy Ministry of Municipalities (DMM), focusing on the areas of urban governance, revenue enhancement, service delivery and capacity development in municipalities.The Advisor will ensure that the plan is appropriately aligned and linked with the Sub-National Governance Policy and Strategic Plan of the Independent Directorate of Local Governance (IDLG).
The Senior Strategic Planning Advisor’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manage and oversee the development of a five-year strategic plan for DMM;
- Work in close communication with leadership of the DMM under IDLG;
- Ensure the draft DMM plan is in alignment with the IDLG Sub-National Governance Policy and Strategic Plan.
- Engage with expertise and/or local officials on revenue generation, urban governance in Afghanistan; service delivery and capacity development in order to ensure the DMM plan reflects current and innovative thinking in these areas.
- Prepare a draft plan for project, DMM/IDLG and/or USAID review and comment;
- Finalize the draft plan, incorporating project, DMM/IDLG and/or USAID comments and suggestions.
- Collaborate with the Senior Municipal Law/Regulations Advisor to map out an implementation strategy for the creation of the Afghanistan Municipalities Union, to develop its governance structure and charter, and to explore ways to finance the union so it is sustainable.
- Senior level expertise – Master’s degree and 12 years’ experience/Bachelor’s degree and 14 years’ experience – or Mid-level expertise – Master’s degree and 6 years’ experience/Bachelor’s degree and 8 years’ experience – with a focus on public administration, public financial management, or related field;
- Previous experience engaging with high level national government/ministry level officials, as well as subnational officials about development or implementation of national policies or regulations;
- Experience developing or analyzing national urban governance policies and planning;
- Experience providing technical assistance in conflict/post-conflict, transitional, or developing country environments, and working with international donors, such as USAID; previous experience in Afghanistan will be an advantage;
- Oral and written fluency in English;
About the company:
DAI is an international development company. For more than 45 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 80 countries. Our development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.